Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Beauty Awakened by Gena Showalter *SPOILERS*

Let me start by saying I really enjoyed this book. Angels and Demons, oh my! And in the midst of everything, a love story that really kinda touched me. This book had a little bit of everything I like, and that's saying something because I am usually a vampire girl, but of course there are only so many GOOD vampire reads and I am trying to branch off just a little bit.

Moving on, this book starts with Koldo, a Sent One for the Angels above. Sent ones are you basic warrior angels, fighting to get rid of the horrible demons who plague the humans. Koldo is wandering through a hospital trying to find the demon he has been charged to kill and slam bam! He runs right into two humans, one in the hospital bed with a demon eating her up from the inside and her twin, sitting beside her trying to talk to her sister. Laila is ate alive with fear because the demon has prayed upon her and she gave in to it, Nicola is her twin sister and also has two demons following her around. Well, what was Koldo to do? Save them, of course.

So in between a love blossoms between the mighty warrior and the human with the frail heart. But is she actually a human? Read the book. You might find out. I'm sure not telling.

There's all kind of other stuff going on, Koldo's father is after him after he thought he had killed him, a nasty Nefas Demon who wants his son to marry his daughter and provide him offspring. Yup. I said it. He wants his son to marry his daughter. Incest, anyone?

Also, Koldo's mother has been imprisoned by, you guessed it, him. Koldo can't fight the hatred of what his mother did to him as a child. The reason he cannot soar through the skies is due to the woman who he looked up to. The woman he wanted only to look at him with love in her eyes, not hate shining from their depths.

We also see a budding friendship between Axel and Koldo, which is kinda fun. I can't wait to read Axel's book. Hopefully, it will be next. His charm is off the charts.

So basically, I loved this book from the first page and flipped through in about a 24 hour period. It was fun, sexy, and a little bit dark, but the dark parts explained the back story of why Koldo is so filled with rage. Nicola, of course, teaches him to work through that and together they  make a great team, especially in the end!

Now, on to other thoughts. Do you ever just feel utterly unappreciated by everyone around you. I am going through this whole, "I wish I could run away from life" phase and it's not getting an easier to deal with. I pick up a book to escape reality so I don't have to deal with anything. Well, at least late at night.

Work is demanding. I am in customer service and people treat me as scum they need to scrape off their shoe. Home is demanding, my kids especially. But I just feel like when I talk nobody listens. When I have concerns to share, they just aren't important. And when I share how I feel about something going on around here it's an attack against someone else. I swear, sometimes I don't know how much I can take. Anybody else dealing with these issues right now have anything to share to help me? Counting to ten just isn't doing it anymore!

Thanks for reading! And don't mind my rant, I'm sure I'll be just fine tomorrow:)

No comments:

Post a Comment